While 2017 is over, stay happy and remember that the new year brings 365 new opportunities to do better, live great, strive for better grades, and look your best! Want to kick off the new year with positive energy, healthy living tips, and fitness fever? Then you’re at the right place! This month, Torchlight Townhomes has amazing events to put your first month of 2018 in overdrive. So, make sure to mark your calendars, get donuts, play grocery bingo, and welcome in a brighter, lighter, better, new you!
- As we tread through colder months, please note that when turning on your heater, it’s natural for the system to produce a slight odor and possibly set off your smoke detector due to its lack of use in previous months. If this occurs, please open your windows and allow the unit to air out for at least 15 minutes.
- Your A/C can never be set to “off” or “on”. It should just be set on “auto”.
- Don’t forget to empty the lint trap in your dryer.
- Please remember to clean up after your dogs!
Reminders and Updates
- Our office hours are Monday–Friday from 9 a.m.–6 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m.–5 p.m., and Sunday from 1–5 p.m.
- If our new network provider, Airwave Networks, placed a modem in your unit, DO NOT tamper with it. Doing so affects the connectivity of other residents throughout the property. If you’re experiencing cable or internet service trouble, please feel free to contact Airwave Networks at (877) 778-9283 to troubleshoot the issue.
- If you have an after-hours emergency or noise complaint, please call our on-call service at (850) 933-4564.
- If you have an emergency maintenance issue, please call our on-call maintenance service at (850) 933-6406.
- Don’t forget that rent is due by the 3rd! Late fees begin accruing on the 4th.
- For residence life issues, please contact our Resident Director, Lyndsi, at email@example.com.
Written by Megan McCollum
You’ve conquered your final exams, spent time with family, and brought in the new year with friends. But now what? How do you ensure that you’ll be at the top of your game with a new course load when you’re so used to relaxing at home?
Here’s a hint: Start now. Buy your books, find your classrooms, spend some time cleaning your room and clearing your desk.
As the fall semester probably taught you, college flies by. There’s no time to slowly ease back into it — take a deep breath, prepare your mind, and dive in. Don’t just take it day by day; create a study schedule, make some friends and form a study group, and talk to your advisor and get to know them.
There are thousands of resources at your fingertips just waiting to be used. For example, places to study. Trying to focus in your bedroom with your roommates around and electronics everywhere is hard, so take advantage of your property’s clubhouses and study rooms, as well as places on campus.
Once you’ve found your perfect study place, it’s time to use the resources available to you. College students today rely on technology for almost everything, from textbooks to full online courses and online study materials. There are even some apps that can be used to help you study, such as iTunes U and Brainscape. If you aren’t using your cell phone to study, turn it off — social media will be there when you’re done, but your professor won’t wait around for you to learn.
If you find yourself procrastinating, take a deep breath, and ask yourself why this assignment is important. Don’t ask why you don’t want to do it; ask yourself what you will benefit from it. Ask yourself what you can learn, and why it’s meaningful.
Reward yourself with something you can truly withhold from yourself if you don’t complete the task. Offering yourself candy or saying you won’t go to that show if you don’t write your paper isn’t meaningful enough to motivate you. Find something you truly want, and when you reward yourself, notice how it feels.
Don’t settle for less. Don’t wait for things to just work out. Start now.
Donuts and Dash — Monday, January 8 — Stop by the front office in the morning for coffee and donuts before starting the first day of the spring 2018 term!
Grocery Bingo — Wednesday, January 10 — Love bingo? We do, too! Come to the front office and play several rounds of bingo and win various prizes for your home like soap, garbage bags, and gift cards.
New Year Social — Saturday, January 13 — Celebrate 2018 with the Torchlight Townhomes staff! Come by the pool and front office for burgers, hot dogs, games, and an assortment of prizes!
New Year, New You — Thursday, January 18 — The new year means constructing a new and improved you! Come to the front office for health tips and coupons.
Mario Kart Tournament — Saturday, January 20 — Participate in a Mario Kart Tournament in the computer room while eating snacks. The winner will receive a GameStop coupon!
National Pie Day — Tuesday, January 23 — Give yourself a cheat day because it’s National Pie Day! Come to the office and enjoy a slice of pie!
Boot Camp — Saturday, January 27 — Want to get on your fitness game? Come to the front office and workout with a personal trainer!