You’ve officially made it to the end of another great year and an even better semester! We understand that with finals week this month, life can appear out of control, hectic, and stressful. Here at Torchlight Townhomes, we love to take some of that load off! To help with this and ring in the holiday season, we have an awesome line of events designed with you in mind. So stop by the office, sport your ugly Christmas sweater, and chillax with your favorite Torchlight staff as we celebrate the last month of 2017!
- As we approach the cooler months, please note that when turning on your heater, it’s natural for the system to produce a slight odor and possibly set off your smoke detector due to its lack of use in previous months. If this occurs, please open your windows and allow the unit to air out for at least 15 minutes.
- Your A/C can never be set to “off” or “on”. It should just be set on “auto”.
- Don’t forget to empty the lint trap in your dryer.
- Please remember to clean up after your dogs!
REMINDERS AND UPDATES
- Our office hours are Monday–Friday from 9 a.m.–6 p.m., Saturday from 10 a.m.–5 p.m., and Sunday from 1–5 p.m.
- If you’re experiencing cable or internet service trouble, please feel free to contact Airwave Networks at (877) 778-9283 to troubleshoot the issue.
- If you have an after-hours emergency or noise complaint, please call our on-call service at (850) 933-4564.
- If you have an emergency maintenance issue, please call our on-call maintenance service at (850) 933-6406.
- Don’t forget that rent is due by the 3rd! Late fees begin accruing on the 4th.
- For residence life issues, please contact our Resident Director, Lyndsi, at [email protected].
Tips to Help You Through Finals Week
The time that you’ve been dreading all semester is here: final exams. This is a very stressful time for everyone, so remember to take a minute just for you.
Studies have shown that when you take one minute just for yourself every 30 minutes, your grades will improve. Cramming has proven not to work because you’re stressed, exhausted, and less likely to absorb everything that you’re trying to learn. Taking a minute just for you will allow you to breathe and reset your mind as you continue to study.
After your minute, make sure to take 10 more minutes to review what you’ve learned, and then 20 more minutes of new information before you take another break.
Just thinking about final exams gets stressful, so make sure to breathe and prepare the right way. Whether you’re writing papers, presenting, or taking an exam, preparation is the best way to get an A.
Here are some professor-approved study tips:
- Drink water, not soda or energy drinks.
- Eat fruits and veggies to give you natural energy.
- Turn your phone off as you study to lessen distractions.
- Find a study partner so you can quiz each other.
- Use the on-campus tutoring centers or peer-led groups.
- Talk to your professors! It shows that you care and are trying to do well.
- Make sure to eat a good breakfast the day of your exam. It truly is the most important meal of the day.
As a member of the Campus Advantage team, we want to do all we can to help you succeed! Make sure to stop by your local front office to see what resources or events they have to help you during this stressful week. We know that all of you are going to do amazing on your final exams!
Holiday Décor Contest Begins — Friday, December 1 — Show your creative side and decorate your front door for the holidays! The best door will receive a gift card.
Rockin’ Taco Tuesday — Tuesday, December 5 — It’s Taco Tuesday!! Come to the front office for tacos!
Christmas Treat Bar — Thursday, December 7 — Come to the front office for holiday cookies!
Finals Week Goodie Bags — Friday, December 8 — In anticipation of the upcoming finals week, stop by the front office and pick up goodie bags designed with you in mind! These goodie bags will have highlighters, pens, no. 2 pencils, erasers, and all the essentials to kick off finals week.
December Grill-Out and Yoga — Saturday, December 9 — Get some yummy hamburgers and hot dogs straight off the grill, then relax and learn some cool yoga techniques with a yoga instructor that will be on the property!
Resources for Finals and Puppies — Sunday, December 10 — Need resources for finals? Well, Torchlight’s got you covered! Come to the office to get notepads, mints, and puppies to get that brain stimulated and mind relaxed for finals week!
Finals Week Breakfast on the Go — Monday, December 11 — Kick off finals week with breakfast on the go! Swing by the office for waffles, fruit, juice, and all the nutritious morning essentials to get your finals week started on the right foot!
Hot Cocoa and Chill — Tuesday, December 12 — Take a quick study break to relax, and celebrate National Cocoa Day with your favorite office staff and hot cocoa!
Late-Night Breakfast — Wednesday, December 13 — Come to the front office and eat breakfast for dinner!
Christmas Décor Contest Ends — Door decorating winners will be announced!